Subject: Re: bug#35737: xref--original-command

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 04:59:40 +0300

On 16.05.2019 22:58, Juri Linkov wrote:
>> But please wait a little, I'd like to show a patch for bug#35702 that can
>> also provide a basic for the same distinction in functionality but without
>> this variable.
> 
> OK.

Please see the latest commits.

In particular, there is now a xref-show-definitions-function.

So in addition to display-buffer-alist, you can change it to give 
xref-find-definitions a particular behavior.

Or to propose a new default behavior, suggest a patch for 
xref--show-defs-buffer. It could do its own things instead of delegating 
to xref--show-xref-buffer, i.e. use a distinct new major mode and 
somewhat different keymap. And also call pop-to-buffer with different 
arguments.

>>> Emacs has side windows too.
>>
>> You mean like Speedbar? That's the part which I didn't exactly like.
> 
> I don't like Speedbar too because it's too intrusive.  But maybe
> it can be rewritten using real side windows as documented in
> (info "(elisp) Side Windows")

It's hard to comment without seeing, but those windows being to the side 
is, again, probably not my favorite feature. I think Emacs is doing fine 
showing Grep results in regular windows. But please show the patch if 
it's easy, of course.