Subject: bug#35732: eshell case-insensitive completion

From: Dario Klingenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 18:16:56 +0200

Dear all,

I am experiencing a strange behaviour of eshell on emacs 26.2:

Steps to reproduce:

emacs -Q
M-x eshell
(setq pcomplete-ignore-case t)

Description:

Under some circumstances, completion of paths starting with "~" leads to 
"~" being expanded to the full path and overwriting the previous text.

Example: suppose I wanted to copy the directory 
~/Documents/some_directory/ to my ~/Downloads/ folder. I type

cp -r ~/doc<TAB>

and it correctly expands to

cp -r ~/Documents/

However, when I continue with

cp -r ~/Documents/my_directory ~/dow<TAB>

it expands to

cp -r ~/Docume/home/username/Downloads/

It seems related to this bug: 
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2012-11/msg00878.html

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.7)
  of 2019-04-17 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description:    Manjaro Linux

Configured using:
  'configure
  CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/q19l04vd2za80mk1845pz7r8cz29qk43-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash
  SHELL=/gnu/store/q19l04vd2za80mk1845pz7r8cz29qk43-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash
  --prefix=/gnu/store/b38pn0gnj4jsrf79lg4kr80rn5kaim0q-emacs-26.2
  --enable-fast-install --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS

Memory information:
((conses 16 820281 36352)
  (symbols 48 72804 17)
  (miscs 40 147 163)
  (strings 32 218249 11988)
  (string-bytes 1 6827776)
  (vectors 16 118557)
  (vector-slots 8 1948506 26962)
  (floats 8 610 381)
  (intervals 56 640 0)
  (buffers 992 13))

Best regards,

Dario