Subject: bug#35726: closed (Re: bug#35726: 27.0.50; global-linum-mode doesn't work in emacsclient in several modes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 14:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35726: 27.0.50; global-linum-mode doesn't work in emacsclient in several modes

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35726: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35726
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35726: 27.0.50; global-linum-mode doesn't work in emacsclient in several modes
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 17:33:53 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 18:23:56 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>  changqi chen <[email-masked]>
> 
> Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >>  3. Remove from linum.el and display-line-numbers.el the condition
> >>     that causes this:
> >>
> >>        (and (daemonp) (null (frame-parameter nil 'client)))
> >>
> >>     I don't think that bug#27210 will affect display-line-numbers, and
> >>     linum is semi-deprecated.
> >
> > For what it's worth, I'd vote for #3 since linum is semi-deprecated
> > and I rather like the change, so I'd prefer not to revert it.
> 
> I think removing the check from display-line-numbers.el would make
> sense, but IMO we should leave it in linum.el because having Emacs
> freeze on startup is worse than having to toggle global-linum-mode when
> using emacsclient.

OK, done on the emacs-26 branch; closing.

Subject: 27.0.50; global-linum-mode doesn't work in emacsclient in several modes
From: ccQ's Gmail <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 22:07:25 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I in emacsclient, some of modes do not show line-number. I `M-x
global-linum-mode`, emacs shows me `global-linum-mode` disable. Then I
`M-x global-linum-mode` again, then line-nums show.

When I am not in emacsclient, no issues. Only happen in emacsclient.

So far, I find lisp-mode and go-mode has this problem. elpy-mode looks fine.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-apple-darwin18.6.0, NS appkit-1671.50 Version 10.14.5 (Build 18F132))
of 2019-05-13 built on ccQ-rMBP.local
Repository revision: 364d4e156d80bff711d000bdb2e0ac765726c953
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.5

Recent messages:
[yas] Prepared just-in-time loading of snippets (but no snippets found).
ad-handle-definition: ‘er/expand-region’ got redefined
Waiting for git... [2 times]
[yas] Prepared just-in-time loading of snippets successfully.
Turning on magit-auto-revert-mode...done
Starting Emacs daemon.
When done with a buffer, type C-x # [2 times]
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [6 times]
When done with a buffer, type C-x # [2 times]
funcall-interactively: End of buffer

Configured features:
IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS
THREADS PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  slime-trace-dialog-minor-mode: t
  slime-autodoc-mode: t
  slime-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  helm-gtags-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  google-this-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/ccQ/.emacs.d/elpa/lsp-rust-20180305.1308/lsp-rust hides /Users/ccQ/.emacs.d/elpa/lsp-mode-20190512.1847/lsp-rust
~/.emacs.d/opam_link/_opam/share/emacs/site-lisp/merlin-iedit hides /Users/ccQ/.emacs.d/elpa/merlin-20190323.930/merlin-iedit
~/.emacs.d/opam_link/_opam/share/emacs/site-lisp/merlin-cap hides /Users/ccQ/.emacs.d/elpa/merlin-20190323.930/merlin-cap
~/.emacs.d/opam_link/_opam/share/emacs/site-lisp/merlin-ac hides /Users/ccQ/.emacs.d/elpa/merlin-20190323.930/merlin-ac
~/.emacs.d/opam_link/_opam/share/emacs/site-lisp/merlin hides /Users/ccQ/.emacs.d/elpa/merlin-20190323.930/merlin
~/.emacs.d/opam_link/_opam/share/emacs/site-lisp/merlin-imenu hides /Users/ccQ/.emacs.d/elpa/merlin-20190323.930/merlin-imenu
~/.emacs.d/opam_link/_opam/share/emacs/site-lisp/merlin-company hides /Users/ccQ/.emacs.d/elpa/merlin-20190323.930/merlin-company
~/.emacs.d/opam_link/_opam/share/emacs/site-lisp/utop hides /Users/ccQ/.emacs.d/elpa/utop-20181010.2155/utop

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail winner helm-command helm-elisp
helm-eval edebug backtrace helm-info term/xterm xterm vc-git ac-slime
slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch
slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu
slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime arc-mode archive-mode pp hyperspec
browse-url paredit helm-gtags pulse init-ocaml ocamlformat init-yaml
yaml-mode init-rust racer pos-tip rust-mode init-js init-web-n-php
ac-php ac-php-core xcscope f php-mode php-project mode-local speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe cc-langs cc-mode-expansions cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
php-face php web-mode-expansions web-mode disp-table init-haskell
init-swift init-golang init-python py-autopep8 highlight-indentation
company-capf company pcase help-fns radix-tree elpy find-file-in-project
ivy colir ivy-overlay ffap windmove elpy-shell pyvenv eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor python-el-fgallina-expansions
python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
tramp-compat parse-time ido grep files-x etags fileloop generator xref
project init-markdown markdown-mode color noutline outline init-org
init-dash init-tex tex-mik tex init-helm helm-swoop helm-mode helm-files
helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp
helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm-config helm-easymenu helm
helm-source eieio-compat helm-multi-match helm-lib init-shell init-lisp
init-treemacs cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit magit-submodule
magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process magit-mode transient
git-commit magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm log-edit message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log with-editor async-bytecomp async shell pcomplete
server google-this url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap delsel expand-region
text-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions expand-region-core
expand-region-custom highlight-symbol multiple-cursors
mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-separate-operations
rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-mark-more mc-cycle-cursors
mc-edit-lines multiple-cursors-core rect yasnippet advice flymake-proc
flymake compile comint ansi-color ring warnings thingatpt elec-pair
flycheck cl-extra find-func help-mode dash auto-complete-config
auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-core monokai-theme paren linum hl-line finder-inf
tex-site rx slime-autoloads info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 538582 33907)
(symbols 48 42822 3)
(strings 32 178653 4185)
(string-bytes 1 5384947)
(vectors 16 66174)
(vector-slots 8 781274 35298)
(floats 8 373 350)
(intervals 56 473 81)
(buffers 992 16))