Subject: bug#35726: 27.0.50; global-linum-mode doesn't work in emacsclient in several modes

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 18:23:56 -0400

Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]> writes:

>>  3. Remove from linum.el and display-line-numbers.el the condition
>>     that causes this:
>>
>>        (and (daemonp) (null (frame-parameter nil 'client)))
>>
>>     I don't think that bug#27210 will affect display-line-numbers, and
>>     linum is semi-deprecated.
>
> For what it's worth, I'd vote for #3 since linum is semi-deprecated
> and I rather like the change, so I'd prefer not to revert it.

I think removing the check from display-line-numbers.el would make
sense, but IMO we should leave it in linum.el because having Emacs
freeze on startup is worse than having to toggle global-linum-mode when
using emacsclient.

Or if we really want to remove it from linum.el, there is my patch at
https://debbugs.gnu.org/27210#28 which can fix that bug without the
above check.