Subject: Re: bug#35725: 26.2; Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault; Crash on: (find-file "any.svg")

From: Michael Pagan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 00:07:00 -0400

On Mon, 13 May 2019 23:08:29 -0700, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> spake thus:
>>> I vaguely remember proposing that we disable ImagicMagick by default;
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/33587
> Thanks for reminding me. I installed that patch just now. So we
> shouldn't see this new bug (Bug#35725) in default builds on master. I
> won't close Bug#35725, though, since the problem presumably can still
> occur with non-default builds.

Thank you for the patch!

I tried the default build on master (GNU Emacs 27), and I can confirm
that I do *not* experience Bug#35725 whilst using it.  Displaying SVG
files works and image scaling works, too.  No crash on <RET>!

One thing I noticed, is that in previous versions of GNU Emacs (using
ImageMagick image scaling, instead of native scaling) is that the
scaling is fast in image-mode, but takes at least a second or two when
inside of eww or emacs-w3m; however, using GNU Emacs 27: There is no
lagging when scaling an image, on (+/-) it converts instantaneously.

Eww and emacs-w3m (and a few other packages) are much more responsive
when using native scaling to handle images.

Thanks everyone for all of your feedback!
-- 
Michael Pagan (pegzmasta) | Casual GNU Emacs user
GPG Key ID: B942 AD12 82B1 6D14 27A0  86AE 119E 451E 71B4 6D72