Subject: Re: bug#35725: 26.2; Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault; Crash on: (find-file "any.svg")

From: Michael Pagan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 23:59:02 -0400

> Paul Eggert wrote:
>> I suggest configuring --with-rsvg, so that librsvg used (instead of
>> ImageMagick) to display SVG files.

On Mon, 13 May 2019 21:21:27 -0400, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> spake thus:
> That's not enough (the build in the original report already has librsvg
> support, per "configured features"); --without-imagemagick would be needed.
> ImageMagick (still) has priority; https://debbugs.gnu.org/33587#19

I re-configured GNU Emacs with the proposed flag, and now: Emacs can
open SVG files just fine; however, I can’t scale images anymore.  I’d
rather have the ability to scale images in any buffer, than the
ability to display SVG files.

I have many image libraries installed (librsvg included), and it makes
sense to me to allow those libraries (e.g. libgif-dev, libjpeg-dev,
libpng-dev, etc.) to handle displaying images, but only allowing
ImageMagick to intervene when performing image manipulation routines.

Is there a way to prevent ImageMagick from handling a specific file
format (e.g. SVG) and to simply allow librsvg to do the job instead of
ImageMagick?

The following elisp does nothing for me, either:
(setq imagemagick-types-inhibit '(SVG C HTML HTM INFO M TXT PDF))
(imagemagick-register-types)

>> I vaguely remember proposing that we disable ImagicMagick by default;

I usually just stick with the defaults, and whatever the INSTALL file
recommends.  I disabled ImageMagick and I was able to view SVG files,
but image scaling is such a desirable feature to me (usable in various
buffer types).

I don’t want it disabled by default, if that means losing the ability
to scale images.  I re-installed my previous configuration of GNU
Emacs for now, even though I can’t display SVG images with it.

Thanks so far for all of your feedback!
-- 
Michael Pagan (pegzmasta) | Casual GNU Emacs user
GPG Key ID: B942 AD12 82B1 6D14 27A0  86AE 119E 451E 71B4 6D72