Subject: Re: bug#35722: Filesystem error in the installer

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 18:50:08 +0200

> Anyway I think this is fixed by commit
> 628d09ae53047ea666f4f84ae5e5be911647fe8c, which Danny just pushed.  :-)

Yeah, but I fixed it by adding the file system type--which is kinda a sledgehammer
approach.  We really don't want to include every file system known to man in the
installer.  In this case we had fat32 already--which uses the same package as
fat16 anyway.

Maybe it would be better long term to make it impossible to edit those
entries that we don't know how to handle, while still not crashing/restarting
the installer.

Right now, gnu/installer/newt/partition.scm:604 (listbox-action) will fail
because partition->user-partition fails.  The former should probably be
modified such that it just shows an error message dialog (without
stacktrace) and lets the user continue on his way after he dismisses it.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about newt to do that myself.

The naming throws me off, too.  What's a user-partition compared to a
partition? *scratches head*

partition-filesystem-user-type does some manual mapping of parted
file system names to "user" names (that's what actually fails).
Sounds like a lot of extra complexity to me.  Is it worth it?