Subject: Re: bug#35722: Filesystem error in the installer

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 18:30:40 +0200

Hello,

Graham Lee <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm trying to install from the GNU GUIX 1.0.0 ISO, which I've copied to
> USB. I pick the graphical installer, run through the language,
> timezone, and keyboard choices. Then I either pick "guided" or "guided
> with encryption" partition scheme, and I choose one big partition
> instead of separate /home. Then the error appears.
>
> I've attached a scaled down photo of the trace, as that was the easiest
> way to get it off of the system I'm running on (which isn't networked
> at the time of error). For clarity, the error message is:
>
> ice-9/eval.scm:159:9: Unhandled fat16 fs-type

I tried in a VM to provide a disk with a FAT16 partition to reproduce
this bug.  I could hit this particular error when choosing the “manual”
partitioning method and then selecting the FAT16 partition.  However I
could not reproduce the bug when choosing the “guided” methods.

I think we don’t need the installer to be able to create FAT16
partitions; we merely need it to recognize and gracefully handle them
when they exist (which I think is quite unusual: the EFI System
Partition seems to be FAT32 usually, no?).

Anyway I think this is fixed by commit
628d09ae53047ea666f4f84ae5e5be911647fe8c, which Danny just pushed.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.