Subject: bug#35702: xref revert-buffer

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 13:09:50 +0300

On 24.05.2019 11:36, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Thanks, but that changeset has a few problems:
> 
>    . the new command xref--revert-xref-buffer uses an internal name,

Is that a problem by itself? We have other bindings that use internal 
command names as well.

>      and has no doc string

How about something like:

   Refresh the search results by repeating the search.

>    . neither NEWS nor the user manual document the 'g' key in XREF
>      buffers

I can add the NEWS entry.

>    . it looks like this new command is not useful after M-., because I
>      get an error message when I try using it (perhaps this is because
>      I didn't understand its use case due to lack of docs)

It has been a deliberate choice to simplify the implementation. IME, you 
don't ever want to refresh the list of definitions. But for other search 
results (references, apropos, project-find-regexp, dired-do-find-regexp) 
it's a lot more common.

Commit 49a363c875 also brings in another difference between the 
behaviors of xref-find-definitions and xref-find-references: the latter 
now shows the xref buffer even when there is just one hit.

> Let me know if I can help in fixing any of the above.  (I tried to
> figure out what this command does and how, but quickly got lost in a
> chain of indirections via undocumented internal functions and
> variables, sorry.)

Do you have a better idea now? Please let me know if you have any 
further questions.