Subject: Re: bug#35683: wishlist: addessing statefulness of .cache(s)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 09:47:55 +0200

Hi Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Better would be if the cache directory contained a "cache-protocol-version"
> file or something and make the client program heed it and make it clear the
> cache if it's the wrong version, without any Guix special case (the problem
> is not not Guix-specific anyway).

I’d be surprised if applications and libraries using ~/.cache such as
Mesa didn’t have some versioning mechanism allowing them to detect stale
cache files.  Overall, Guix isn’t special in that respect.

The problem we experienced with Mesa shader caches are probably not
Guix-specific.  I think we should try to gather more info about the
stale .cache files that trigger a Mesa crash so that we can make a
useful bug report to the Mesa developers.

(I’m saying this as someone who did not experience the crash, heheh.  :-))

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.