Subject: bug#35681: closed (Re: grep's ./configure doesn't work with plain /bin/sh)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 09:33:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35681: grep's ./configure doesn't work with plain /bin/sh

which was filed against the grep package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35681: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35681
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: grep's ./configure doesn't work with plain /bin/sh
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Miro Kropáček <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 01:32:36 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As this was a bug (now fixed) in Bash not grep, I'm closing the grep bug report.

Subject: grep's ./configure doesn't work with plain /bin/sh
From: Miro Kropáček <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 00:49:15 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I found this today by accident - it seems that grep's ./configure
doesn't work with so called minimal bash (enabled in bash's configure
via --enable-minimal-config).

One can verify that not only by the failed ./configure process but
also by content of config.log - there are several messages like:

configure:3536: error: fn_grep: expected pattern

Tested on the latest (3.3) version. If there are good reasons why
./configure needs full bash, I guess it shouldn't reference /bin/sh in
that case.

Cheers,
Miro