Subject: Re: Regression in --enable-minimal-config

From: Chet Ramey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 17:20:00 -0400

On 5/13/19 4:18 AM, Miro Kropáček wrote:
> On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 21:32, Martijn Dekker <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Chet only commits snapshots to git and not individual fixes, so it's
>> hard to isolate any one fix from the git repo.
> Yes, I have noticed. :-)

There is no guarantee that a single commit fixes the issue you want to
have fixed, especially if it's not a problem that was identified the
same way. In this case, the commit Martijn references definitely fixes a
problem with `()' subshells initializing, but it is not identical to the
problem with the grep configure script (which fails running shell functions
in pipelines, which are run in subshells).

That's similar to the report Martijn cited, but not the same. The right
one is

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2016-11/msg00031.html

and the right commit is

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bash.git/commit/?h=devel&id=78a3f8a4bae8ef98daa26b64ddbc03c6fc3ffcd0

If you look at the changes in that commit, you see

+execute_cmd.c
+	- execute_subshell_builtin_or_function: call without_job_control even
+	  if JOB_CONTROL is not defined. Similar to fix from 9/23.
+	  Report from Martijn Dekker <[email-masked]>

and you should be able to find the right chunk from execute_cmd.c that
mentions without_job_control().

Chet
-- 
``The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.'' - Chaucer
		 ``Ars longa, vita brevis'' - Hippocrates
Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    [email-masked]    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/