Subject: bug#35681: Regression in --enable-minimal-config

From: Martijn Dekker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 21:32:26 +0200

Op 12-05-19 om 13:40 schreef Miro Kropáček:
> On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 12:47, Martijn Dekker<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> I think you're probably hitting this bug:
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2016-09/msg00083.html
> Thanks, that indeed looks like it.
> 
>> The exit status of subshells is broken in bash-4.3 and bash-4.4 with
>> --enable-minimal-config. This is a fatal bug that would easily break
>> most substantial shell scripts, including configure.
>>
>> The bug was fixed in bash-5.0.
> Yes, 5.0 works. Do you know where the fix itself is?

No, but Chet would know.

Chet only commits snapshots to git and not individual fixes, so it's 
hard to isolate any one fix from the git repo.

>  Commit
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bash.git/commit/?id=61c476d20d32dfd389c79fd4f2161a780685e42e
> mentions your report and fix but it definitely does not fix it.

Are you sure? I just did a test compile on that same commit with 
'--enable-minimal-config --enable-strict-posix-default --enable-alias' 
and the bug is definitely not there. Then when I back up one commit and 
run 'make' again, the bug appears.

- M.

-- 
modernish -- harness the shell
https://github.com/modernish/modernish