Subject: Re: Regression in --enable-minimal-config

From: Martijn Dekker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 12:47:46 +0200

Op 11-05-19 om 13:08 schreef Miro Kropáček:
> It seems --enable-minimal-config isn't tested very often as both
> 4.3.48 and 4.2.x required a few #ifdef's to be added to make it
> compile (Linux).

I think you're probably hitting this bug:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2016-09/msg00083.html

The exit status of subshells is broken in bash-4.3 and bash-4.4 with 
--enable-minimal-config. This is a fatal bug that would easily break 
most substantial shell scripts, including configure.

The bug was fixed in bash-5.0.

As for a minimal bash-5.0 with full POSIX compliance, aliases are 
required by POSIX but turned off by the minimal config, so you want: 
--enable-minimal-config --enable-alias --enable-strict-posix-default

I now often test modernish (my shell language enhancement library) 
against that shell configuration (among many others), so 
--enable-minimal-config is now a little better tested than before.

-- 
modernish -- harness the shell
https://github.com/modernish/modernish