Subject: bug#35666: closed (Re: [bug#35666] [PATCH 0/2] Build a thread-safe hdf5 library)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 10:22:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35666: [PATCH 0/2] Build a thread-safe hdf5 library

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35666: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35666
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#35666] [PATCH 0/2] Build a thread-safe hdf5 library
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Garlick <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 12:21:08 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Paul,

Paul Garlick <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I notice in the Debian rules file [1] that the "--enable-threadsafe"
> flag is listed as  one of the SERIAL_FLAGS.  In the Guix case the
> package hdf5-parallel-openmpi inherits its configure flags from the
> hdf5 (serial) package.
>
> Will we also have to explicitly delete the "--enable-threadsafe" flag
> from the hdf5-parallel-openmpi definition?

Good point, I think so.

I did that and pushed it as 549d15712fdc1f58ce0dd11117eb79535ec19f2c.

Let me know if anything is amiss!

Ludo’.

Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Build a thread-safe hdf5 library
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Eric Bavier <[email-masked]>, Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>,Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>, Paul Garlick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 11:56:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

A colleague of mine noticed that our ‘hdf5’ library wasn’t
thread-safe.  Turns out there’s an option to make it thread-safe (oh!),
it’s turned off by default (oh?!), and when you pass it ‘configure’
invites you to turn off no less than C++, Fortran, and the high-level
interface (d’oh!).

It also tells you that, if you insist, you can go ahead and pass
‘--enable-unsupported’, but you’re on your own.

We found that Debian chose to pass ‘--enable-unsupported’, and indeed
that seems to be saner than providing a variant that does very little,
but does it in a thread-safe way.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (2):
  gnu: hdf5: Build a thread-safe library.
  gnu: hdf5: Add dependency on Perl.

 gnu/packages/maths.scm | 15 +++++++++++++--
 1 file changed, 13 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

-- 
2.21.0