Subject: [bug#35666] [PATCH 0/2] Build a thread-safe hdf5 library

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 13:52:42 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> A colleague of mine noticed that our ‘hdf5’ library wasn’t
> thread-safe.  Turns out there’s an option to make it thread-safe (oh!),
> it’s turned off by default (oh?!), and when you pass it ‘configure’
> invites you to turn off no less than C++, Fortran, and the high-level
> interface (d’oh!).

Oh!

> It also tells you that, if you insist, you can go ahead and pass
> ‘--enable-unsupported’, but you’re on your own.
>
> We found that Debian chose to pass ‘--enable-unsupported’, and indeed
> that seems to be saner than providing a variant that does very little,
> but does it in a thread-safe way.

What other effects does “--enable-unsupported” have?  I see that in
Fedora “--enable-threadsafe” was removed in 2008 because it’s
“incompatible with --enable-cxx and --enable-fortran”.

Instead they seem to be building different flavours: one with
--enable-fortran, another with --enable-cxx, yet another with MPI and
--enable-parallel.

Do we have contact to the hdf5 developers to ask what the implications
of “enable-unsupported” are?

--
Ricardo