Subject: bug#35665: closed (Re: bug#35665: 27.0.50; shell-mode over TRAMP can no longer kill processes with C-c C-c)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 07:00:03 +0000

Your bug report

#35665: 27.0.50; shell-mode over TRAMP can no longer kill processes with C-c C-c

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35665: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35665
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35665: 27.0.50; shell-mode over TRAMP can no longer kill processes with C-c C-c
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 08:59:34 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 27.1

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dima,

>> I just did a bit of debugging. C-c C-c invokes
>> (tramp-interrupt-process). This calls (tramp-send-command) to send a
>> "kill -2 PID" and then (tramp-accept-process-output) to wait for a new
>> shell prompt; I think. For whatever reason, the server is not getting
>> the "kill -2 PID" anymore, so the waiting for the prompt now hangs
>> forever. I'll poke at it some more, but it's likely somebody more
>> knowledgeable will be able to figure this out much faster than me.
>
> Looks to me like a duplicate of bug#35506, could you pls check? That bug
> report contains also patches, which might help you.

No News are Good News. I'm closing this bug, assuming it is solved in
the master branch. Feel free to reopen if there are still problems.

>> Thanks!

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 27.0.50; shell-mode over TRAMP can no longer kill processes with C-c C-c
From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 19:04:37 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi. This is a semi-recent regression. I've been observing it for a few
months now, but have only now tried to track it down. I'm currently
using a very recent build of emacs from git:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=7dafbe3ab91

Recipe:

1. C-x C-f /ssh:someserver:
   Opens up a TRAMP ssh connection to some server. This opens up the ~
   in dired mode

2. M-x shell
   Opens up a remote shell.

3. sleep 10000
   I.e. make the remote box do something that doesn't quit immediately

4. C-c C-c
   This SHOULD send SIGINT to the process to kill it. And it did that
   previously, but it doesn't do that anymore. Now it just hangs

I just did a bit of debugging. C-c C-c invokes
(tramp-interrupt-process). This calls (tramp-send-command) to send a
"kill -2 PID" and then (tramp-accept-process-output) to wait for a new
shell prompt; I think. For whatever reason, the server is not getting
the "kill -2 PID" anymore, so the waiting for the prompt now hangs
forever. I'll poke at it some more, but it's likely somebody more
knowledgeable will be able to figure this out much faster than me.

Thanks!