Subject: Re: bug#35662: Really relocatable binaries crash with Permission denied

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 22:43:56 +0200

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 10:45:24PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
>> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 10:39:21PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> > I suspect ZFS-on-Linux (right?) is doing something unusual here:
>> 
>> I suppose it is ZFS on Linux; it is Linux, I can ask the admins if it
>> could be something else.
>> 
>
> The admins have confirmed that they use “Proxmox on ZFS” (judging from
> <https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux> it is ZFS on Linux) and
> they have confirmed that they have disabled user namespaces in their
> Proxmox settings.

User namespaces are orthogonal to file systems, but anyway it looks like
ZFS is refusing to let us do these things.

I don’t have any great option to offer.  You could perhaps modify
run-in-namespace.c so that it doesn’t even try user namespaces and
instead goes directly to the PRoot option?

However working around this behavior of ZFS it not completely trivial
and I’m not sure we should put much energy to paper over non-standard
file system behavior.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.