Subject: Re: [bug#35641] [PATCH] services: gdm: Include user profile in D-Bus paths.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 15:14:06 +0200

Hi,

Timothy Sample <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I avoided doing this when fixing up GDM because it seemed a little
> ham-fisted (clumsy).  However, I think it is better than all the ink
> that would be spilled on help-guix without it.

The e-ink, you mean.

> In short, the point is to make sure that D-Bus services included in a
> user’s profile can be found and started by the session bus.  This means
> that if you are using GDM and install “evolution-data-server” and
> “gnome-calendar” (for example), the session bus will be able to start
> all of the services that GNOME Calendar needs to function correctly.
> There are a handful of major GNOME applications that need this.
>
> Furthermore, I think we should add “evolution-data-server” as a
> propagated input for packages that require it.  This way, things like
> “guix install evolution” will just work the way one expects.

Sounds like a worthy goal.  :-)

> Is it okay to assume that “.guix-profile” is the user’s profile like
> this?  If it isn’t okay in general, is it okay enough for now?

In this particular case, I’d say it’s OK.

Do we have any other option on the table anyway?

>>>From e32c27dfa950d250520c3c8ecccba90add863639 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 09:13:14 -0400
> Subject: [PATCH] services: gdm: Include user profile in D-Bus paths.
>
> This partially addresses <https://bugs.gnu.org/35267>.
>
> * gnu/services/xorg.scm (dbus-daemon-wrapper): When '$HOME' is set,
> include directories from '$HOME/.guix-profile' in the search paths of
> the D-Bus daemon.

[...]

> +  (program-file
> +   "gdm-dbus-wrapper"
> +   #~(begin
> +       (use-modules (srfi srfi-26))

Same thing with a few comment explaining what you wrote above would be
great.

LGTM!

Thanks,
Ludo’.