Subject: Re: bug#35640: Make USB modems just work on Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 23:00:43 +0200

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:36:47PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
>> Find attached patches that make USB modems just work, fixing this bug.
>> 
>
> I forgot to ask: The USB_ModeSwitch website says:
>
> If you are a system integrator (package maintainer) you can use this
> XML file to check for new releases: usb-modeswitch-versions.xml
> <http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/usb-modeswitch-versions.xml>.
>
> Is it possible to add a hash of this URL to the usb-modeswitch and
> usb-modeswitch-data packages so that guix refresh notifies us of new
> releases?

No, it’s not that simple.  You could write an “updater” (see (guix
upstream)) that specifically reads this file and reports the new version
specified in this file, but maybe it’s overkill to do that for a single
package.

Thanks,
Ludo’.