Subject: Re: bug#35639: 27.0.50; tramp fails to use ssh on LibreCMC (no base64 encoder available, and not mentioned in tramp manual)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 20:29:27 +0200

Jeronimo Pellegrini <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jeronimo,

> The rem-enc function should use a base64 encoding program on the
> router (but LibreCMC and OpenWRT do not have it!).

Tramp is busy to detect base64 or any other method which can be used for
encoding/decoding. Pls set tramp-verbose to 6, and rerun the test (w/o
an installed base64 on the remote machine). There will be a Tramp debug
buffer.

> reading  lisp/net/tramp-sh.el  I get the impression that tramp
> actually *should* be able to encode/decode using busybox/awk,
> which *is* available in LibreCMC (or did I get it wrong?).

See variable tramp-remote-coding-commands, it contains all the different
encoding/decoding commands Tramp tries to apply. awk is among them.

The debug buffer you'll send shall show us, why it doesn't work.

> So, I'm not sure if this is a tramp bug (can't use awk to encode/decode
> files in base64 format) or bug in its manual (doesn't mention that
> a base64 binary is needed on the remote side).

Tramp shall describe in its manual, what does it need for
encoding/decoding. Agreed.

> Thank you!
> J.

Best regards, Michael.