Subject: Re: bug#35639: 27.0.50; tramp fails to use ssh on LibreCMC (no base64 encoder available, and not mentioned in tramp manual)

From: Jeronimo Pellegrini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 09:37:14 -0300

Hello again!

On May 9, 2019 9:05:39 AM GMT-03:00, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Jeronimo Pellegrini <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> However... hexdump may not be present in all Linux/*BSD/*ix systems.
>> At least in Debian, it is in package bsdmainutils, which is
>> not required. (od, on the other hand, is in package coreutils, which
>> is required)
>
>See, how we do it with the other programs: we test one after the other,
>until it succeeds. So it is perfect to have a second entry for awk in
>tramp-remote-coding-commands.

Good then, it'll be simple.

>Well, decoding does not use od. So it might be sufficient to have
>
>tramp-od-awk-coding-test
>tramp-od-awk-encode
>tramp-hexdump-awk-coding-test
>tramp-hexdump-awk-encode
>tramp-awk-decode}

Ah, all right.

>> Perhaps
>>
>> (tramp-error v 'file-error "Cannot find any way to encode data using
>> `%s'" method)
>>
>> would be more precise?
>>
>> Or, if (tramp-local-host-p v) (tramp-method-out-of-band-p v size) are
>> false, explicitly write that "encoding binaries were not found on the
>> remote end"?
>
>Yes, something like this. Do you want to prepare such a patch (which
>should also include the tramp.texi changes)?

Sure!

The documentation change in the same patch?

>Hmm, looks like this could extend the 15 lines limit, which is the
>upper
>limit for contributions to Emacs/Tramp, w/o having signed the FSF legal
>papers (where you declare the copyright of your work be given to the
>FSF). Would you like to sign such a paper? It would help also for
>future
>contributions to Emacs or one of its packages.

Yes, of course! How do I do that?

J.

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.