Subject: bug#35630: graphical install, no network device found (HP EliteDesk 800 G1)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 10:39:20 +0200

Hello Guix,

executive summary: this bug is still to be triaged since I've
succesfully used the same steps some days ago, so it could be a false
positive

I'm having a strange error when installing Guix 1.0.0 from USB media
using the Newt Graphical Install

Recently I succesfully installed using the same steps (newt installer)
and the network was succesfully detected, but now I got this message
twice [1]:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

  ...requires internet access but no network device were found

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Switching to a terminal console I was able to:

1. check the eno1 interface was correctly detected (via "ip a ls")
2. start the interface (ifconfig eno1 up)
3. get an IP via DHCP client (dhclient -v eno1)
4. ping gnu.org

Sorry but I don't know how to debug the installer or find a specific log
file from it to help better understand why the installer does not find
the network device

Following /var/log/debug on a console I see no error messages right
before the above mentioned message appears in installer, even selecting
"Continue" or exiting the next dialog and re-selecting 

After eno1 "manual" setup I was able to complete the install

As I already mentioned, some day ago I'm *sure* the installer correctly
detected and activated the network interface (using another USB pen
drive) and I really don't understand what changed here :-O

The one and only test that comes to my mind is to double check the
content wrote to the pen drive is not somehow corrupted, I got it and
dd'ed following the Guix manual instructions [2]

I'll check and/or redo my install media to see if that's the problem

If you have any other hint or "debug trick" please comment

Thanks! Gio'

[1] I rebooted the machine and tried again

[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/USB-Stick-and-DVD-Installation.html#USB-Stick-and-DVD-Installation

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures