Subject: bug#35629: 27.0.50; version-to-list fails on Cygwin gpg2 version string

From: Kazuhiro Ito <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 17:32:23 +0900

> > Cygwin's gpg2 has "-unknown" suffix in version string.
> > 
> >> $ gpg2 --version
> >>
> >> gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.15-unknown
> >> ...
> 
> This is a bug in the Cygwin build of gnupg2.  I've sent a fix to the Cygwin 
> mailing list:

>    http://www.cygwin.org/ml/cygwin/2019-05/msg00089.html

Thank you for the investigation.  Actually, the same problem occurs in
MSYS2 and MSYS2/mingw packages.  Furthermore, as far as I tested,
autoreconf on release tarball adds extra "-unknown" in version string
independently of platforms.

I think that two issues are related with my bug report.

#1. Cygwin, MSYS2's gnupg binary has extra "-unknown" in version string
despite of that they should be released version.

I think it is what you've reported to Cygwin ML.

#2. Locally built gnupg binary may become "-unknown" suffix version.

GnuPG's autogen.sh makes "-unknown" suffix version configure script if
source code directory doesn't have .git directory.  If "-unknown"
suffix is a bug as a general thing, I think GnuPG's repository should
be fixed.  If not, I hope vertion-to-list function accepts "-unknown"
suffix.  How do you think?

-- 
Kazuhiro Ito