Subject: bug#35622: Ran into a bug in the new graphical installer on WiFi setup

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 18:01:29 -0400

Hi Hugo,

Hugo Saavedra <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for your work on GuixSD. I was excited to try out the new
> graphical installer, but ran into a bug while setting up WiFi.

I'm sorry to hear it.  Thanks very much for the report.

> I've uploaded photos of the stacktrace for you to take a look at. This
> is running on a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/qcwgNXr

>From the backtrace, I see that 'string-null?' was applied to #f, and I
guess it was the 'string-null?' called from the 'wifi-services'
procedure in (gnu installer newt wifi), here:

  (define (wifi-services)
    "Return all the connman services of wifi type."
    (let ((services (connman-services)))
      (filter (lambda (service)
                (and (string=? (service-type service) "wifi")
                     (not (string-null? (service-name service)))))
              services)))

It seems that one of the services returned by (connman-services) had #f
as its 'service-name'.  The backtrace includes a (truncated) display of
the service in question:

  #<<service> name: #f type: "wifi" path: "wifi_4cbb58…>

Looking at 'connman-services', it appears that in this case, the 'keys',
as returned by 'parse-keys' in (gnu installer connman), did not have a
"Name" association, or else its right-hand side was #f.

It would be good if someone more familiar with this code would
investigate further.

      Thanks,
        Mark