Subject: bug#35608: 26.2; Calc temperature conversions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 10:50:01 -0400

close 35608
quit

"Harris, Bill" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thank you, Mauro.  I thought it gave absolute temperatures in previous
> versions (26.1, for example), but I just checked on version 25.1, and
> it, too, does as you say.

Right, see also (info "(calc) Basic Operations on Units") or
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/calc/Basic-Operations-on-Units.html>,
which has exactly this example conversion:

       The ‘u c’ command treats temperature units (like ‘degC’ and ‘K’) as
    relative temperatures.  For example, ‘u c’ converts ‘10 degC’ to ‘18
    degF’: A change of 10 degrees Celsius corresponds to a change of 18
    degrees Fahrenheit.  To convert absolute temperatures, you can use the
    ‘u t’ (‘calc-convert-temperature’) command.  The value on the stack must
    be a simple units expression with units of temperature only.  This
    command would convert ‘10 degC’ to ‘50 degF’, the equivalent temperature
    on the Fahrenheit scale.