Subject: bug#35601: closed (Re: bug#35601: First 'guix pull' does not display 'hash guix' hint)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 15:46:06 +0000

Your bug report

#35601: First 'guix pull' does not display 'hash guix' hint

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35601: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35601
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35601: First 'guix pull' does not display 'hash guix' hint
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 17:45:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]> skribis:

> To reproduce simply run (after installing Guix System using the 1.0.0
> installer) 'guix --version', which will yield 'guix (GNU Guix) 1.0.0',
> then 'guix pull', which will display no hint about running 'hash guix',
> then 'guix --version' again, which will return 'guix (GNU Guix) 1.0.0'
> again, and finally 'hash guix' followed by 'guix --version', which now
> will yield 'guix (GNU Guix) 1234somecommithash123456789abcdefghijklm'.

I *think* this is fixed for good by
a0dc97a517cbc4c82640e30cacb2a564d128bbe9.

> Regardless of the hint I still believe it is unfortunate that running
> 'guix pull && guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm' for the first
> time will rather counterintuitively downgrade the system instead of
> upgrading it.

I agree.  Perhaps an option would be to somehow pre-populate
~/.config/guix/current for all users on Guix System, but I’m not quite
sure how to do that intelligently.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: First 'guix pull' does not display 'hash guix' hint
From: Diego Nicola Barbato <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 15:04:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

Congratulations on 1.0.0!

I took the opportunity to revisit bug #33647 [0] and verify that commits
3bbd691 and d1d7283 have the desired effect.  Unfortunately they do
not: The first time a user runs guix pull on a freshly installed Guix
System no hint about running 'hash guix' is displayed even though it is
precisely when the hint was supposed to be displayed.

To reproduce simply run (after installing Guix System using the 1.0.0
installer) 'guix --version', which will yield 'guix (GNU Guix) 1.0.0',
then 'guix pull', which will display no hint about running 'hash guix',
then 'guix --version' again, which will return 'guix (GNU Guix) 1.0.0'
again, and finally 'hash guix' followed by 'guix --version', which now
will yield 'guix (GNU Guix) 1234somecommithash123456789abcdefghijklm'.

Regardless of the hint I still believe it is unfortunate that running
'guix pull && guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm' for the first
time will rather counterintuitively downgrade the system instead of
upgrading it.

Regards,

Diego

[0]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33647