Subject: bug#35594: GNOME: Application icons are not displayed immediately after installation

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 17:54:56 +0100

Hello!

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The case of interest here is the default user profile or
> $HOME/.guix-profile, which gets added to XDG_DATA_DIRS via /etc/profile
> (on Guix System).  Because of the indirect links to the store, and the
> mutable /var/guix/profiles/per-user/$USER directory used to store the
> profile links, it is possible to have inotify work correctly.  The
> algorithm described above would resolve $HOME/.guix-profile into
> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/$USER, and /run/current-system into /run.
>
> While adding a watch to /run is not optimal, it's not dramatic either
> given the watch is not recursive and only watch for specific actions:
>
> #define IP_INOTIFY_DIR_MASK
>  (IN_MODIFY|IN_ATTRIB|IN_MOVED_FROM|IN_MOVED_TO|IN_DELETE|IN_CREATE|IN_DELETE_SELF|IN_UNMOUNT|IN_MOVE_SELF|IN_CLOSE_WRITE)
>
> (from gio/inotify/inotify-path.c)

I think our messages crossed.  :-)  I agree with your conclusions.  I
posted a preliminary patch following our discussion:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/36376#2

It’s only taking care of ~/.guix-profile, not /run, because I think
that’s the most common case.  (Usually you’d only add applications to
/run when reconfiguring, and then you may reboot shortly after in a
laptop kind of setting.  Also, one typically doesn’t *add* applications
to /run.)

Thoughts?

Ludo’.