Subject: bug#35586: GNOME Core Applications

From: Roman Riabenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 20:54:20 +0300

У ср, 2022-05-25 у 13:08 +0200, Maxime Devos пише:
> What's the bug?

To put this in context: the bug is that not all core GNOME apps are
installed for gnome-desktop-service-type. This was previously
summarized by Raghav Gururajan:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35586#21

In the previous discussion, the core apps were determined from:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps
https://blogs.gnome.org/mcatanzaro/2016/09/21/gnome-3-22-core-apps/

The core apps as listed in Michael Catalanzo's blog post are now all
installed by default, except for Documents (obsolete), Logs, and
Software which were not packaged for guix. The GNOME wiki also lists
some pre-release apps.

Now, there is the official page where core apps are listed:
https://apps.gnome.org/en/

Per this, the following apps need to be added and were already packaged
for guix:
gnome-music (Music)
seahorse (Passwords and Keys)

The following apps will need to be added when and if they will be
packaged for guix:

Calls
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/calls

Connections (Then, gnome-boxes should be removed from core.)
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/connections

Console (Then, gnome-terminal should be removed from core.)
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/console/

Logs (Is it in scope for guix?)
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-logs

Software (Can be useful for flatpak since there is no guix backend.)
https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Software

Text Editor (Then, gedit should be removed from core.)
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-text-editor

Tour
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-tour

Console and Text Editor above are specific to updating to GNOME 42.0.
Text Editor needs GtkSourceView 5.4 or newer which was not added to
guix yet. The latest upstream version of GtkSourceView is 5.4.1.
Console is beta and hasn't got a stable release yet but is used anyway.

So, gnome-music and seahorse should be added now. The rest require
packaging effort and interest.

Roman