Subject: bug#35586:

From: Raghav Gururajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2019 18:44:49 -0400

When I re-visited this bug thread, I thought it needed summarising, so
that folks who are or will be working on this, will find it easier. ☺

                              **SUMMARY**

*ISSUES:*

When comparing to GNOME's Official Guidelines (https://wiki.gnome.org/D
esign/Apps), the package "gnome" that is used by service "gnome-
desktop-service-type" has the following issues.

1) The package "gnome" does not contain all GNOME Core Applications.
Some are already packaged and some are not.

2) The package names and application (.desktop files etc.) names are
not generic.

*ESSENTIAL TO-DOs:*

1) Change the package and application names of exsisting (already
packaged) GNOME Core Applications, to their generic names; according to
guidelines.

2) Re-compile the "gnome" package to include exsisting GNOME Core
Applications and remove unnecessary apps; according to guidelines.

3) Package missing GNOME Core Applications (using their generic names);
according to guidelines.

4) Re-compile the "gnome" package to include newly packaged GNOME Core
Applications; according to guidelines.

Therefore, final "gnome" package should contain Base Components and ALL
 Core Applications.

*ADDITIONAL TO-DOs:*

1) Create new package called "gnome-minimal" and include GNOME Core
Applications ONLY of types "Essential System" and "System Tools";
according to guidelines.

2) Modify the service "gnome-desktop-service-type" in such a way where
package "gnome-minimal" can be used as a value (alternative to the
default value "gnome").

Therefore, final "gnome-minimal" package should contain Base Components
and Core Applications ONLY of types essential system and system tools.