Subject: bug#35586: GNOME

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 22:48:14 +0200

On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 03:23:27PM -0400, Raghav Gururajan wrote:
> On 5 May 2019 14:52, "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Well, they have two names and others frequently refer to them by 
> > e.g. Epiphany and not GNOME Web, including Epiphany developers. 
> >
> >
> 
> Hmm, but the app shows up as Web in GNOME.
>

One example of GNOME Web being called Epiphany by GNOME developers is
the same blog:

https://blogs.gnome.org/mcatanzaro/2019/03/19/epiphany-technology-preview-upgrade-requires-manual-intervention/

You can also type both Epiphany and (your language’s translation of)
Web in the GNOME Activities search bar to find Epiphany.  The same
goes for Nautilus.  The terminal command is also still epiphany or
nautilus.

I do not know if it is possible to give a package two names; I believe
it is not.

> > Of course, there are more non-packaged applications. 
> >
> > I also remember 
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/mcatanzaro/2016/09/21/gnome-3-22-core-apps/ 
> > who says, for example, that gnome-tweaks is *not* core. 
> >
> 
> What?? How else to enable/disable plugins/extensions in GNOME?
>

Well…  GNOME has repeatedly tried to make simpler alternatives for
installing extensions.  I believe the current method is GNOME
Software, but I am not sure.

Regards,
Florian