Subject: bug#35584: CDs and DVDs aren't auto-mounted

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2025 10:08:36 +0900

reopen 35584
thanks

Hi,

> This is finally fixed, see commit 670724edcfe ("gnu: eudev: Fix optical
> discs detection/auto-mounting.")

While this is currently working, a discussion with systemd [0] revealed
that this the existing rule should work as-is, regardless of whether the
cdrom block driver is builtin the kernel or as a module.  This means the
fix is really a workaround rather than something fixing the root issue;
I'm thus reopening the issue and will try to find a better solution for
it.

One extra check I've now made is locally revert the earlier fix (commit
670724), then build the cdrom block driver as a module like it is on
Void Linux (which to recall uses the same eudev version without this
problem) and tested: the problem persists.

In the systemd discussion, they pointed that potentially the problem has
to do with the 'udevadm trigger' that is run; perhaps it is done too
early still, despite waiting on the udevd unix socket (wait-for-udevd)
in the udev-shepherd-service.  I'll investigate in this direction.

[0]  https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/37336

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim