Subject: Re: bug#35574: bcm5974 touchpad is not recognized as touchpad

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 11:45:02 +0200

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 08:36:37AM +0200, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:
> Thanks for fixing this! This seems like a reasonable choice. However, I
> noticed that on Ubuntu, CONFIG_USB_MOUSE is set to 'M'. So maybe they
> have some special udev/blacklist rules to handle this case?

Interesting.  Thank you for checking.  So maybe setting
CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=n in the kernel config is the wrong way.  I installed
Ubuntu and they just have a file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
containing the lines

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
blacklist usbmouse
blacklist usbkbd

I wonder if a default blacklist file would be more like the Guix way.
Or default blacklist kernel-arguments?  I remember a discussion by
Danny Milosavljevic and Brice Waegeneire about this at
<https://bugs.gnu.org/40274#128>.  All these avoid recompiling the
linux-libre package.

Danny, Brice, I’m putting you in Cc, maybe you have an opinion on
this?  I suppose I should not change %default-extra-linux-options.

Regards,
Florian