Subject: Re: bug#35566: Dvorak keyboard layout in graphical installl mode

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 15:23:34 +0200

Daniel, Guix,

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Daniel Dinnyes <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> I found that in the graphical install mode, while
>> being asked for keyboard layout, there was no option for Dvorak 
>> layout.
> The Dvorak layout is there, but maybe not where you expect: you 
> have to
> first select, say, the “English (US)” layout, which brings you 
> to a
> second page where you can choose a variant, one of which is 
> Dvorak
> (screenshot below.)

Not bein' snarky here: where else would you expect it to be?  I've 
never seen the DSK categorised as anything but ‘US (Dvorak)’.  The 
layout itself is pretty anglocentric, and even (I mean: of course) 
the UK Dvorak subtly differs from the US one.

I assume this isn't the first time you've installed a GNU/Linux 
distribution, so I'm curious where you found it on others.  Do 
they flat-out alias ‘Dvorak’ to the US variant?  Not convinced we 
should emulate that.

Side note: the Debian (or was it Ubuntu?) installer has a great 
feature to help you figure out your keyboard layout in the minimum 
number of keystrokes.  I wonder if we could use that decision tree 
data in our own installer.  IME most people have no idea what the 
name of their keyboard layout is; it's always ‘er, the regular 
one?’ to them.

Imma check it out,

T G-R