Subject: Re: bug#35564: 27.0.50; [PATCH] Tweak dired-do-shell-command warning about "wildcard" characters

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 19:51:28 +0200

>> But I'm afraid we'll have to stick to what we have now.
 >
 > Why?  Not sure what you mean.

I mean that it won't be easy to convince others that we need a new
face for propertizing prompts.

 > I would prefer that the two be separated.  Tooltip text
 > is quite different from prompts in use cases and behavior.

They are similar in the following aspect: Both prompts and tooltips
are often displayed using toolkit functions.  GTK tooltips are by
default not propertized because the system doesn't accept any face
properties for them.  If Emacs used balloon tooltips on Windows,
propertizing them would not be possible either.  And both 'y-or-n-p'
and 'yes-or-no-p', when implemented via dialog popups, don't adopt our
text properties either.

The question is now whether an application should accept the uniform
appearance of such objects as prescribed by the toolkit used and as
such obey the toolkit's look-and-feel or insist to use its own
implementations.  Emacs leaves that choice to its users.  Which means
that users are told things like "if you want this mode to behave as
intended, you have to customize variables like 'use-dialog-box' or
'x-gtk-use-system-tooltips'".  Nothing bad with that, but some users
might be uncertain whether they should agree.  In particular when such
an option affects all sorts of tooltips or prompts.

martin