Subject: bug#35564: 27.0.50; [PATCH] Tweak dired-do-shell-command warning about "wildcard" characters

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 06:19:10 -0700 (PDT)

> By design, 'yes-or-no-p' and 'y-or-n-p' are kept apart to avoid that
> people use the latter for more "crucial decisions".  Part of this
> distinction is that 'y-or-n-p' is asked in the echo area, so applying
> 'minibuffer-prompt-properties' would be conceptually inappropriate.
> Obviously, applying 'minibuffer-prompt' is just as inappropriate (that
> face is part of 'minibuffer-prompt-properties') but that's a decision
> that has been made long ago.
> 
> So although I'd vote for a solution like the one you propose in your
> patch, any decision in this area is subtle and should be approved by
> others first.  Also because we'd then have to decide what to do with
> other clients of the 'minibuffer-prompt' face like 'read-char-choice'
> or the ones in isearch.el.

I don't see any good reason why face `minibuffer-prompt'
should be used, especially by default (users can do
whatever they like) for situations where there is no
active minibuffer, i.e., for prompting situations
generally.  It should instead serve as a useful clue
that the minibuffer is being used.  (Just one opinion.)