Subject: Re: GNOME Shell 3.28 crashes and suspends to RAM (!) after ejecting removable media

From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2019 10:43:33 -0400

Hi Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello!
>
> GNOME Shell is crashy since the 3.28 upgrade (it’s an install that was
> made before the 3.28 upgrade; I wonder whether the same happens on a
> fresh install.)

GNOME Shell has been quite stable for me since Ricardo made sure that it
was using GDK-PixBuf with SVG support (see commit
c5db31d4141669d09c1cd8b37eb270c2fe23c7cf).

> It occasionally crashes (SIGSEGV) and is automatically respawned, which
> is kinda okay: as a user, you notice that it flickers for a second or
> two and then it comes back.
>
> The thing that’s really bad is that clicking on the eject icon of a
> removal storage device in Files leads to a gnome-shell crash that’s
> unrecoverable (“respawning too quickly”), followed by the laptop
> entering suspend-to-RAM without prior notice (!):

I did experience this when it was crashing frequently.  Since Icecat
sends a notification (which used to crash GNOME Shell) every time you
open a link from Emacs, I would always have to ask myself, “is whatever
is on the other end of this link really worth my computer immediately
suspending?”

> [...]
>
> Is anybody experiencing this?  Ideas?  Thoughts?  Sympathy?  :-)

Like I said, it’s working well for me now, but I did end up clearing
most of my GNOME-related configuration and state during the upgrade.

One quick thing to check is whether the SVG support is actually working
for you.  Ricardo’s commit also fixed a bug where the little close (“X”)
icons in the top-right corner didn’t show up when you hover on the
windows in the “Activities” screen.  The arrows to switch the month in
the calendar were invisible, too.

And yes, lots of sympathy!  :)

-- Tim