Subject: Re: bug#35560: GNOME Shell 3.28 crashes and suspends to RAM (!) after ejecting removable media

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 11:51:35 -0500

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Earlier, I wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW, I've found GNOME Shell to be quite solid on my X200, including
>>> since the 3.28 upgrade.  However, I run it under Wayland, by running
>>> "XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland exec dbus-run-session gnome-session" from a
>>> text console.  Perhaps that makes a difference?
>>>
>>>> The thing that’s really bad is that clicking on the eject icon of a
>>>> removal storage device in Files leads to a gnome-shell crash that’s
>>>> unrecoverable (“respawning too quickly”), followed by the laptop
>>>> entering suspend-to-RAM without prior notice (!):
>>>
>>> I just tried this, and it works fine for me.
>>
>> I should also mention that unlike Timothy and Ricardo, I've *not* done
>> any cleaning of my GNOME-related configuration/state.  I also never
>> experienced the crashes that were apparently fixed by commit
>> c5db31d4141669d09c1cd8b37eb270c2fe23c7cf.
>
> The crashes would only happen if stale notifications were loaded up by
> the new GNOME.

I'll close this now, since we're now using GNOME Shell 3.41 and the bug
is hopefully gone for good.  If not, feel free to reopen it!

Thank you,

Maxim