Subject: bug#35560: GNOME Shell 3.28 crashes and suspends to RAM (!) after ejecting removable media

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2019 21:54:16 +0200

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:

> Earlier, I wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I've found GNOME Shell to be quite solid on my X200, including
>> since the 3.28 upgrade.  However, I run it under Wayland, by running
>> "XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland exec dbus-run-session gnome-session" from a
>> text console.  Perhaps that makes a difference?
>>
>>> The thing that’s really bad is that clicking on the eject icon of a
>>> removal storage device in Files leads to a gnome-shell crash that’s
>>> unrecoverable (“respawning too quickly”), followed by the laptop
>>> entering suspend-to-RAM without prior notice (!):
>>
>> I just tried this, and it works fine for me.
>
> I should also mention that unlike Timothy and Ricardo, I've *not* done
> any cleaning of my GNOME-related configuration/state.  I also never
> experienced the crashes that were apparently fixed by commit
> c5db31d4141669d09c1cd8b37eb270c2fe23c7cf.

The crashes would only happen if stale notifications were loaded up by
the new GNOME.

-- 
Ricardo