Subject: Re: bug#35551: guix search

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 18:04:44 -0400

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Bruno Haible <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>>> For that we’d need to resort to an external service providing this info.
>>
>> Why would it need to be an external service? Can't you incorporate
>> this information in a data file that you ship as part of the
>> distribution?
>
> Such a file would quickly become stale, it’d have to be updated from an
> external service anyway.

If we add functionality that calls out to the network in response to a
package search, e.g. to query popularity ratings or package file
listings, we should make sure the user knows it's happening, and provide
a way to disable it.  Some users may not want information about their
package searches to be leaked to the outside world.

     Thanks,
       Mark