Subject: bug#35551: package gcc does not depend on binutils and glibc

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 10:07:24 +0200

Hi Bruno,

Bruno Haible <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> > Ricardo, I think you had a patch to hide the ‘gcc’ package.  Could you
>> > commit it?
>> 
>> I’ve just done this.  My apologies for the delay.  Now a search for
>> “gcc” only returns “gcc-toolchain” (and one “gcc-bootstrap”).
>
> Will it also be hidden from the package list
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/G/ ?

Yes, when we update it.

> Being a newbie regarding guix, I found it more comfortable to search
> for packages under https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/ rather
> than through some guix command.

Oh, really?

I would hope that ‘guix search’ and ‘guix package --list-available’ are
easier than anything else, and that people value the idea of doing
things locally.  Also, a local search gives the right result while a
remote service might give results for a different Guix revision.

Is there any specific reason why you were uncomfortable with these
commands?  I’m curious how we could improve the user experience here.

Thanks,
Ludo’.