Subject: Re: bug#35551: package gcc does not depend on binutils and glibc

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2019 03:34:42 +0200

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> > You are really looking for `gcc-toolchain' package. See section 
> > 2.6.6 in the manual.

Indeed! Thanks for the answer.

> (Speaking as a user, I'd be annoyed to the point of switching if 
> my distro installed ‘binutils’ when asked for ‘gcc’.)

Well, 'guix install emacs' installs more than emacs as well:
graphviz, ghostscript, python, fftw, cups, ...

There are different kinds of dependencies between packages:
  - Package A contains binaries that are linked to shared libraries
    installed by package B.
  - Package A contains binaries that invoke binaries installed by
    package C.
  - Package A produces output or file formats that can only be viewed
    through package D.
For me, any of these dependencies would be a reason, when installing A,
to install B, C, D as well.

Bruno