Subject: bug#35541: Installer does not add %base-packages

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2019 12:30:46 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> When and only when the Newt installer creates a packages field in the
>> operating-system configuration e.g. for nss-certs, it does not add
>> %base-packages to the packages field.  (When no packages field is
>> created, %base-packages is added by default.)
>
> Ouch!  That renders the installed system unusable, right?

I did a full install for a bare-bones-like system with ‘nss-certs’
selected during the install.  The resulting system has only ‘guix’ and
‘herd’ as useful commands in /run/current-system/profile/bin.

You can log in but Coreutils commands etc. are missing.  You can run:

  guix install coreutils grep sed findutils

which solves the problem.

It’s a serious issue nonetheless.  :-/

Ludo’.