Subject: bug#35536: 27.0.50; Expose buffer's marker list to Elisp

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 19:07:47 +0300

> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 16:44:52 +0100
> Cc: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>,
> 	Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> 
> I attach a patch implementing this based on BUF_MARKERS, as per Martin's
> suggestion.  Any reasons not to expose such a function?

I'm not yet convinced we need something like that, but in any case, is
the order important?  Because the code you propose produces a list in
reverse order.

More generally, I think we should discuss the need for this in more
detail.  Markers are used for several features, and there's internal
stuff like conversion from character to byte positions that depends on
them.  Changing markers could thus easily crash Emacs, especially if
it comes in some in-opportune moment.

It is possible that people actually need higher-level primitives that
manipulate markers internally.  We should first identify the use cases
where this could be needed, and then see how to help solving those use
cases by something like a new marker-related primitive.