Subject: bug#35529: libdrm fails to build on armhf-linux

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 19:00:12 +0200

Hi Mark,

> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>>>>> This has built fine on berlin.  We have a completed build for
>>>>>> /gnu/store/3c28p8b07709isd9jlcnnnyrpgz4ndz8-libdrm-2.4.97.
>>>>>
>>>>> What kind of hardware was it built on?
>>>>
>>>> I’m not sure.  We’re using a few Overdrive 1000 machines that have quite
>>>> a bit more RAM than the other armhf nodes.
>>>
>>> Are there any other kinds of build slaves that build armhf binaries for
>>> Berlin?
>>
>> Yes.  We have a Beagleboard (x15.sjd.se), which is set up for 2 parallel
>> builds and we use the Qemu service on 5 of our x86_64 machines to build
>> for armhf.  (We do the same for aarch64, but using 5 different nodes.)
>
> So, many of the armhf builds are done in an emulator.

Since maybe a week or so.  I only added the qemu machines very recently.

> I hope that we will soon phase out the practice of performing builds
> within emulators.

I did this because the extra Overdrive boxen I bought still haven’t been
added to the build farm.  To better deal with the build backlog I added
the Qemu machines.  I also hope that we can soon use dedicated build
machines instead.

> In the meantime, it would be good to know which machine built 'libdrm'
> for armhf.  Was that information recorded?

I don’t know where I would find that information.

>> “nss” failed its tests when built on x15.sjd.se, but it worked fine when
>> building on one of the Overdrives.
>
> Can you find the failed NSS build log from the X15?  It would useful to
> see which tests failed, and whether they're the same ones that failed on
> hydra-slave3, which is a Novena with 4 GB of RAM.  Here's the relevant
> Hydra build page: <https://hydra.gnu.org/build/3484222>.

I didn’t keep track of the log.  I built this manually on berlin to test
a workaround (which failed).  The build log probably still sits on
berlin somewhere, but I cannot find it.

-- 
Ricardo