Subject: Re: bug#35525: guix-manual proposals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 May 2019 04:51:37 +0000

These are my current suggestions:
Here GuixSD rests instead of Guix System:

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:2650
msgid ""
"If you are not using the Guix System Distribution, consider adding the "
"following lines to your @file{~/.bash_profile} (@pxref{Bash Startup Files,,, "
"bash, The GNU Bash Reference Manual}) so that newly-spawned shells get all "
"the right environment variable definitions:"
#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:3140
msgid ""
"Substitutes from the official build farm are enabled by default when using "
"the Guix System Distribution (@pxref{GNU Distribution}). However, they are "
"disabled by default when using Guix on a foreign distribution, unless you "
"have explicitly enabled them via one of the recommended installation steps "
"(@pxref{Installation}). The following paragraphs describe how to enable or "
"disable substitutes for the official build farm; the same procedure can also "
"be used to enable substitutes for any other substitute server."
The word 'installed' is wrong:

#. type: itemx
#: doc/guix.texi:3011 doc/guix.texi:3024
#, no-wrap
msgid "-A [@var{regexp}]"

#. type: table
#: doc/guix.texi:3015 doc/guix.texi:3028
msgid ""
"List packages currently available in the distribution for this system "
"(@pxref{GNU Distribution}). When @var{regexp} is specified, list only "
"installed packages whose name matches @var{regexp}."

In my own as I see, it does not list installed but all available packages.
Here it is 'many types of fs', but only one mentioned as example:

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:2268
msgid ""
"Alternatively, you may use a swap file. For example, assuming that in the "
"new system you want to use the file @file{/swapfile} as a swap file, you "
"would run@footnote{This example will work for many types of file systems (e."
"g., ext4). However, for copy-on-write file systems (e.g., btrfs), the "
"required steps may be different. For details, see the manual pages for "
"@command{mkswap} and @command{swapon}.}:"
And also if another language is ready to use (Spanish), need to say it on:

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:117
msgid ""
"This manual is also available in French (@pxref{Top,,, guix.fr, Manuel de "
"référence de GNU Guix}) and German (@pxref{Top,,, guix.de, Referenzhandbuch "
"zu GNU Guix}). If you would like to translate it in your native language, "
"consider joining the @uref{https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-manual."
"html, Translation Project}."
May 2, 2019 9:43 PM, "Ludovic Courtès" <[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])> wrote:
 Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])> skribis:
 as far as I can see, it's also wrong in the original in the manual.

doc/guix.texi:

@item --list-available[=@var{regexp}]
@itemx -A [@var{regexp}]
List packages currently available in the distribution for this system
(@pxref{GNU Distribution}). When @var{regexp} is specified, list only
installed packages whose name matches @var{regexp}.
^^^^^^^^^ ?? 

Oops indeed! I guess you can push a fix. :-)

Ludo'.