Subject: bug#35525: guix-manual proposals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 08:38:21 +0000

I think here the word 'installed' is wrong:

#. type: itemx
#: doc/guix.texi:3011 doc/guix.texi:3024
#, no-wrap
msgid "-A [@var{regexp}]"

#. type: table
#: doc/guix.texi:3015 doc/guix.texi:3028
msgid ""
"List packages currently available in the distribution for this system "
"(@pxref{GNU Distribution}). When @var{regexp} is specified, list only "
"installed packages whose name matches @var{regexp}."

In my own as I see, it does not list installed but all available packages.
May 1, 2019 6:04 PM, [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked]) wrote:
Also here GuixSD rests instead of Guix System:

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:2650
msgid ""
"If you are not using the Guix System Distribution, consider adding the "
"following lines to your @file{~/.bash_profile} (@pxref{Bash Startup Files,,, "
"bash, The GNU Bash Reference Manual}) so that newly-spawned shells get all "
"the right environment variable definitions:"
And this text is English-specific, lacks its features in another language, words 'force a local build' and 'challenge providers' in Russian has no direct translations:

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:2589 doc/guix.texi:2582
msgid ""
"This foundation allows Guix to support @dfn{transparent binary/source "
"deployment}. When a pre-built binary for a @file{/gnu/store} item is "
"available from an external source---a @dfn{substitute}, Guix just downloads "
"it and unpacks it; otherwise, it builds the package from source, locally "
"(@pxref{Substitutes}). Because build results are usually bit-for-bit "
"reproducible, users do not have to trust servers that provide substitutes: "
"they can force a local build and @emph{challenge} providers (@pxref{Invoking "
"guix challenge})."
msgstr "Эта концепция позволяет Guix поддерживать @dfn{прозрачное внедрение бинарников/исходников}. Когда доступен элемент @file{/gnu/store}, собранный заранее на внешнем источнике, то есть готова @dfn{подстановка}, Guix просто скачивает и распаковывает его. В противном случае он собирает пакет из исходников на локальной машине (@pxref{Substitutes}). Так как результаты сборки обычно воспроизводимы бит-к-биту, пользователи не должны доверять серверам, которые поставляют подстановки --- они могут целенаправленно запросить локальную сборку и @emph{не пользоваться} серверами подстановки (@pxref{Invoking guix challenge})."

force a local build  - Russian equivalent can be only 'purposely ask local build'
challenge providers - in Russian we do not have such idea (as some others equivalents of words too), so I've translated exactly 'do not use substitute servers'

I think this text may be simplified and extended a bit.
May 1, 2019 4:00 PM, [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked]) wrote:
Hello! Here it is 'many types of fs', but only one mentioned as example:

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:2268
msgid ""
"Alternatively, you may use a swap file. For example, assuming that in the "
"new system you want to use the file @file{/swapfile} as a swap file, you "
"would run@footnote{This example will work for many types of file systems (e."
"g., ext4). However, for copy-on-write file systems (e.g., btrfs), the "
"required steps may be different. For details, see the manual pages for "
"@command{mkswap} and @command{swapon}.}:"
Also, writing configuration step is not so easy when using manual installation. I think, there also should be a message with link to 'Graphical Installation', that you can use graphical installation that will generate configuration you need automatically.

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:2315
msgid ""
"@xref{Using the Configuration System}, for an overview of the configuration "
"file. The example configurations discussed in that section are available "
"under @file{/etc/configuration} in the installation image. Thus, to get "
"started with a system configuration providing a graphical display server (a "
"``desktop'' system), you can run something along these lines:"

And also if another language is ready to use (Spanish), need to say it on:

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:117
msgid ""
"This manual is also available in French (@pxref{Top,,, guix.fr, Manuel de "
"référence de GNU Guix}) and German (@pxref{Top,,, guix.de, Referenzhandbuch "
"zu GNU Guix}). If you would like to translate it in your native language, "
"consider joining the @uref{https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-manual (https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-manual)."
"html, Translation Project}."