Subject: Re: bug#35507: Gnus mojibakifies UTF-8 text/x-patch attachments from Thunderbird

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 00:54:56 +0100

On Wed 01 May 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 17:42:18 +0100
>> 
>> +		     (mm-decode-string text 'utf-8))))
>
> As I said, I'm not sure we should do this, let alone unconditionally
> force UTF-8 here, but if we must, why not use decode-coding-string?
> Do we really need the mm-* stuff?

No idea - I am not at all expert in coding systems or the internals of
Gnus.

This was the simplest patch that appeared to work for producing the
right display, without changing the decode into the " *mm*" prefixed
temp buffers created by the MIME machinery for each part.

If you think `decode-coding-string' is a better patch, feel free to test
and commit that instead.

    AndyM