Subject: Re: bug#35503: 27.0.50; Startup output and slowdown break Emacs batch applications

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:53:32 +0200

>>>>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:42:48 +0200, Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]> said:

    Anders> Hi!  I'm maintaining an Emacs batch application, e2ansi
    Anders> (*).

    Anders> I just noticed two problems when using Emacs 27.

    Anders> 1) It prints a lot of output, whereas earlier versions are
    Anders> quiet. The output include tons of "Loading xxx..." but
    Anders> also the lines "dump mode: nil" and "Using load-path ...".

    Anders> 2) Startup times has increased from 0.11 seconds to 2.36
    Anders> seconds.

    Anders> To test this, simply run:

    Anders> time PATH-TO-Emacs --batch -Q

    Anders> I'm using a prebuilt Emacs from "emacsformacos.com". I've
    Anders> tested the official Emacs 26.2 and the latest Emacs 27
    Anders> "nightie".

My crystal ball says that PATH-TO-Emacs is really a symlink to the
actual location of Emacs. In that case, Emacs cannot (currently)
locate its dump file, hence all the output. If you run Emacs using the
fully specified real path, it should be much faster.

Robert