Subject: bug#35503: 27.0.50; Startup output and slowdown break Emacs batch applications

From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:42:48 +0200

Hi!

I'm maintaining an Emacs batch application, e2ansi (*).

I just noticed two problems when using Emacs 27.

1) It prints a lot of output, whereas earlier versions are quiet. The
output include tons of "Loading xxx..." but also the lines "dump mode: nil"
and "Using load-path ...".

2) Startup times has increased from 0.11 seconds to 2.36 seconds.

To test this, simply run:

time PATH-TO-Emacs --batch -Q

I'm using a prebuilt Emacs from "emacsformacos.com". I've tested the
official Emacs 26.2 and the latest Emacs 27 "nightie".

(*) e2ansi adds syntax highlighting to pagers like "more" and "less" in the
terminal. It starts an Emacs in batch mode, run font-lock and renders the
highlighted result using ANSI sequences, which the pager presents. It can
be found at https://github.com/Lindydancer/e2ansi

Sincerely,
    Anders Lindgren

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17
Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F2109))
 of 2019-04-30 built on macpro.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1348
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.10.5

Recent messages:
Loading vc/ediff-hook...done
Loading uniquify...done
Loading electric...done
Loading emacs-lisp/eldoc...done
Loading cus-start...done
Loading tooltip...done
Loading
/Applications/Emacs27.0-2019-04-30.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/leim/leim-list.el
(source)...done
Finding pointers to doc strings...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading loadup.el (source)...done

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES
THREADS PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_SE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode
easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib apropos elec-pair tooltip cus-start eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win
ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 268435 17187)
 (symbols 48 20247 1)
 (strings 32 55043 2648)
 (string-bytes 1 2319539)
 (vectors 16 49362)
 (vector-slots 8 1389453 76916)
 (floats 8 183 34)
 (intervals 56 892 0)
 (buffers 992 12))